10 March 2010

Soli Deo Gloria!

As the weeks go by, life just seems to get busier and busier. It is completely unbelievable to think that my time here in Colorado Springs is halfway over. And it is still unbelievable to me that I have been blessed with the opportunity to be able to look out at Pike's Peak every day and to learn from some of the most intelligent and God-centered people I have ever met.

I cant remember if I have talked about this or not, but there is SO much more to the FLI experience than simply going to class each day. The sense of community that we have been able to build here is simply astounding to me. This is not only true among the students here, but the staff, as well. In fact, some of the best times that I have had have been when I have, on a whim, gone over to my professor's homes to have supper, watch movies, or play Settlers of Catan. I cant even begin to explain how refreshing it is to experience this type of community. Although this idea of community should still be active among all Christians, it isn't. How much easier would it be for us to reach out to our lost neigbors with the overwhelming love of Christ if we could first learn to live in community with our fellow Christians?

As sad as it is, many folks dont even truly know who they go to church with anymore, including myself. Sure, we wave and say hi as we pass in the hallway, but isnt there so much more that? When is the last time that we took time out of our busy schedule to stop and have a real conversation with someone? To see how they were really doing and to ask how we could pray for them? When was the last time that we sat and talked with a friend about how they saw God at work in their life? When is the last time that we invited someone over to our home for a time of fellowship and having a meal or coffee together? Have we forgotten how to be a neighbor to our fellow Christian brothers and sisters? Furthermore, how can we be a neighbor to those who dont know Christ, if we cant even be a neighbor to those with whom we have the common bond of Christ?

Most recently in my Family, Church, and Society class, we have been talking about God's design for the social sphere of COMMUNITY. In this study, we focused specifically on the Parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10.25-37. Dr Tackett made the suggestion that since the subtitles we see in the Bible are put there by man, that we re-name this parable to be "The Parable of the Neighbor". As we looked at the story, I found how appropriate this title really is, as the verses that precede this parable begin with Jesus commanding us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Then this parable is told in response to the man who tests Jesus asking Him, "And who is my neighbor?" So then, when you examine this story, your two main characters are the needy and the neighbor. From there we were able to really examine God's design for community, and how being a neighbor and living in community with our neighbors really gets at the heart of how God designed this institution to be lived out. Those of you who know me well know how passionate I can be about this topic. There is so much more I could tell you, both from my own prior experiences as well as things we have talked about here, but I'll leave it there for now and give you something to think on. :)

Over the past two weeks, I have gotten the really awesome opportunity of being involved in some tapings of the FOTF daily radio broadcasts with Dr. Juli Slattery and John Fuller. Although I dont know that they will air the part of the show that I actually participated in, I got to be in the studio. So that was a super cool experience! The first show I particpated in was on Eating Disorders. I have not yet been able to find out when it will air. The second show I participated in was on parenting, and featured John Rosemond, who is from NC. That show, which is a 2 part series will air on March 22nd and 23rd.

As I have been sitting here typing this, the thought keeps popping in mind of how grateful I am that God has given me the oppotunity to be here, and also to be able to share with each of you through my blog. I know that some people think that I am here being brain-washed by some extreme right-winged Christian organization. However, just the opposite is true. Rather then being "brain-washed" I feel that, in a way, my brain has been freed. I am learning to think, to use my brain, and to ask questions, instead of just taking anyone at their word! Believe me, I have disagreed with my professor's more than just a time or two in the past 8 weeks. In my time here, I have been challenged more than ever to really examine what I believe and why I believe it. Most importantly, I have been learning to actually use the brain and intellectual abilities God has given me to examine His word, draw near to Him, and then come to my own conclusions about God and how I feel Him calling me to live out my life. I would encourage you to do the same. I have been discovering that living a more Christlike life means learning about the very nature of Christ Himself, and we can look all throughout the scriptures and see God revealing Himself to us through His words and actions. And for that, as we say at FLI, SOLI DEO GLORIA! To God Alone be the Glory!

In closing, I want to leave you with this quote I wrote down during Dr. Tackett's class last week: "We must always go back to the face of God, to His very nature. We must gaze upon His face. ALL truth emanates from Him, our ultimate source of TRUTH."

Til next time... Grace and Peace!

3 comments:

  1. Still waiting for a beautiful picture of Pike's Peak!! Also, can't wait to hear the broadcast on Mar.22/23. You're having some awesome experiences......I love reading about them! Keep up the blogs! Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new look!! :) M

    ReplyDelete