04 August 2010

Never Say Never...

Well, life has been pretty interesting lately. I guess that's the word to use for it anyhow! After a busy summer full of the craziness of Puerto Rico, chaperoning a trip to Centrifuge, and the many adventures of job hunting and interviewing, I am now ready to settle down and get to work... and maybe some more blogging. (Yes, I said the word WORK! Keep reading to find out the latest!)

Eager to get my dream job as a 3rd or 4th grade teacher in Wake County, I began checking their job postings in late February this year, depsite the fact that they were on a job freeze. Nothing... nothing... nothing... nothing... then May came. Jobs were being posted faster than I could read them, and I think I sent a resume out to just about every one with the exception of any openings for Kindergarten positions. During High School, I used to say that I really wanted to teach in the lower grades, K or 1. As I got a little older, I decided Id rather aim for 1 or 2. At the beginning of college I decided that 2 would be my top choice, but 3 would be okay if I had to. Then, I subbed and subbed and went through the AMAZING College of Ed at ASU and decided that 3 or 4 were my ultimate top choices. Not only that, but I began to formulate this priority list in my head: 4, 3, 2, 5, 1, K. In fact, I believe Ive said the following words at least once a month for the past 4 or so years: I will NEVER teach Kindergarten.

So I sent out resumes... and waited... and waited... and waited... and waited. NOTHING. I didnt even get email responses back. Principals were always in meetings no matter how many times I called and what times of the day of I called. Now Im no genius, but Im sure smart enough to know that NO ONE is in a meeting 24/7.

Finally, when I got back from Puerto Rico, I discovered that there were 3 new job openings at Deep River Elementary in Sanford... closer to my house than the school I did my student teaching at in Raleigh. AND one of my best college friends got a job there in January and LOVED it! (We had every class together since Junior year, and we both did our student teaching in 2nd grade at Fox Road in Raleigh.) So, I pursued the openings... this time in person rather than email. Ms. Lundy, the principal immediately invited me back for an interview a few days later.

To make a long story short, the interview went okay I thought. But it was extremely short, and that really scared me. However, I was encouraged by the fact that she asked me for a lot paperwork which she wouldnt have needed if she wasnt interested. Hmmmm... could it be?

God is a pretty cool cat, just in case ya didnt know. The next week I went to Centrifuge with the ARBC students, and planned on making a short return trip home for another interview in the middle of the week. Well, about 15 minutes before I got to the other school, Ms. Lundy called and wanted to know if I could return for a second interview with the 4th grade team first thing the next morning. So... my return trip lasted a bit longer than expected... but that was okay with me! Interview? AWESOME!

Then a few days later, a bomb fell out of the sky. First, Ms. Lundy called to ask if I would possibly consider another grade level due to some switching around she was having to do within the building. Sure! After all, flexibility is key right?

THEN, I got a call from the Lee Co Board of Education, "Miss Jarrell, the position available at Deep River will be a Kindergarten position. Are you still interested should we offer you the position?" Me: "Could I think about it? When do you need to know by?" Lee Co: "How about tomorrow by lunch?"

TOMORROW BY LUNCH?!?!?!? Is this woman crazy? Does she not know that I have vowed for years now that I WILL NEVER TEACH KINDERGARTEN and now I am being forced to make a quick decision between turning down a school and principal I love because of the grade level, or realizing that a good school and principal could potentially be worth more than having my preferred grade level and trying it out to get my foot in the door.

So I frantically began calling every teacher I knew for some good advice, as well as asking a few that taught Kindergarten if I could come and visit. Although it was good to talk to several different people, the most valuable conversation I had was with my adopted sister, Ashley Reffit. She was extremely helpful and helped me to think through some things no one else had brought up for me to consider. She's a pretty awesome gal! The next morning I made an emergency visit to a K class at my mom's school, and sat there the entire time with my mind racing about how a half day in a K class could possibly be part of my basis for such a huge decision.

Then noon came. I accepted the job. Yes, I am teaching Kindergarten this year.

The moral of the story: Never say never.

As I told my best friend Lyndsey, when these words leave our mouths, we just give God more content to work with when planning His next comedy act. God enjoys a good a laugh every now and then. So do all of us. And I am glad that I could be the one to provide it. :)

So, if youre ever feeling a little blue around 830 in the morning, just think of me enthusiastically singing crazy songs while surrounded by young children. That should fix you right up. And dont forget...

NEVER say NEVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment