10 June 2009

Seeing and Being?

Many of you may be wondering about the title I have given my blog, "Seeing and Being". The following post is my rambling thoughts about this topic and my focus/goal for my summer in Miami. Hopefully, it makes sense!! :)

This title simply refers to God's command for each and every one of us as we live life daily. I think that all God commands of us in the Scriptures could be summed in two simple statements: 1) Look for Jesus Christ in all things by which you are surrounded. 2) Be Jesus Christ for all of those by which you are surrounded. Just think... Wouldn't the world be a much more peaceful place if everyone lived by these principles? I certainly think so.

This is a theme that I have been thinking about for quite some time. It enters my mind occassionally, and it re-enetered my mind as we talked about this very principle at our Orientation session in Birmingham, AL last week.

Here's the issue. It's really easy for us, as Christians, to focus a lot on being Christ for others. We talk about it all of the time. I mean, isn't this essentially the main or underlying theme for many of the Bible Studies we attend? The concept is nothing new for us. There has not ever been a mission trip I have attended where I haven't heard the "You are here to represent Christ." sermon. I don't want to give the impression that this is a bad thing. It's not! It is crucially important that we be reminded of this as often as possible.

However, I would like to pose a question. We, as humans, are creatures of habit. We learn things from someone modeling them for us. Doesn't a young child spend much time mimicking his parents and the people around him? And isn't the same true in our daily Christian walk? How can we be Christ for someone if we haven't ever seen Christ in someone else? How are we supposed to be Christ for someone if we haven't ever taken the time to observe what is around us and find Christ in his very own marvelous creations? We could just open up our Bible and read about the nature of Christ and what it looks like, as well as what fruits should be present in our lives in order to be Christ for another person. In fact, we should do this... a lot! After all, Christ is the most perfect example we have to follow. But doesn't a real, physical illustration- something that you can see- make everything that much more real for us? Doesn't it help a concept that you've read about or talked about become that much more real to you? Although Christ may present himself in different ways through each person that He has created, I believe that I can learn from others, even though Christ in them will look drastically different from Christ in me.

This is something I am going to challenge myself to do this summer. I would like to challenge you, wherever you are, to do it as well:
Take some time and try to focus on SEEING Christ in those by which you are surrounded. Don't just talk about it. Really do it!

I dont want to become so focused on BEING Christ for those around me, that I forget to look for Him. I hope that this will: 1) Help me begin to live seeing Christ in others at all times. 2) Become a better example of Christ around me.

Here are the lyrics to the song "Face of Christ" by Chris Rice. They are sure to make you think.

He shares a room outside with a dozen other guys
And the only roof he knows is that sometimes starry sky
A tattered sleeping bag on a concrete slab is his bed
And it's too cold to talk tonight
So I just sit with him instead and think

(Chorus)
How did I find myself in a better place
I can't look down on the frown on the other guy's face.
Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye
I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing
With the face of Christ

After sixteen years in a cold, gray prison yard
Somehow his heart is soft, but keeping simple faith is hard
He lays his Bible open on the table next to me
And as I hear his humble prayer
I feel his longing to be free someday

(Chorus)

See you had no choice which day you would be born
Or the color of your skin, or what planet you'd be on
Would your mind be strong, would your eyes be blue or brown
Whether daddy would be rich, or if momma stuck around at all

So if you find yourself in a better place
You can't look down on the frown on the other guy's face
You gotta stoop down low, look him square in the eye
And get a funny feeling, 'cause you might be dealing ...

How did I find myself in a better place
I can't look down on the frown on the other guy's face
'Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye
I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing
With the face of Christ


Please continue to pray for the community of Overtown and the people that I will be working with. Pray that I would be able to see Christ in them, and that I would be able to be Christ for them. Also, please continue to pray for the students that God has placed all over the world this summer (a short list can be found at the bottom of my first post!!).

Grace and Peace!

2 comments:

  1. It's great to see you developing your own philosophy of ministry, Maria. These are some great missiological concepts you are thinking through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria K. Jarrell...you're amazing. Jussayin. I totally needed to hear that. It's easy to get caught up in giving so much of yourself to people in order to be an example of Jesus. We definitely need to re-energize and seek out how other people are living that. So yeah...great post! You're going to be amazing in Miami. Just be the crazy and ridiculous Maria we all know and love. God's going to do some great things through you, I'm sure. I love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete